Loyola (MD) starts their 2012-2013 season on November 9 in Baltimore against Binghamton. From game one, the Greyhounds will attempt to prove that they're just as good or maybe a little better than last season's team. They'll counter the loss of the players that gave them 27% of their minutes last season with the efforts of six incoming freshmen.
The biggest gap for Loyola (MD) to fill will be on the defensive side, as the team lost 37.4% of their shot blocking. That's followed closely by rebounding, where they drop 33.6% from last season.
Loyola (MD) finished last season with a record of 21-8 overall and landed in 2nd place in the MAAC with a conference record of 13-5. In postseason play, the Greyhounds beat Fairfield 48-44 to win the MAAC tournament. In the NCAA Tournament, they were seeded 15th and lost in the second round to Ohio State, 78-59. Loyola (MD) lost last year's seniors Shane Walker (28 minutes per game) and J`hared Hall (4 MPG). The Greyhounds will also have to get by without Justin Drummond (transferred to Toledo) and Pierson Williams (2 MPG).
The Greyhounds return Erik Etherly (13.7 points/game), junior Dylon Cormier (1.6 steals/game), senior Robert Olson (11.1 points/game), sophomore R.J. Williams (2.6 assists/game), and Anthony Winbush (1.2 steals/game).
The Greyhounds recruited incoming freshmen including 6-4 Damion Rashford, 6-4 Eric Laster, 5-11 Sean Tuohy Jr., 6-8 Will Rassman, 6-5 Jarred Jones, and 6-8 Josh Forney. Also joining the team are 6-6 junior Chido Onyiuke, 6-1 sophomore Tyler Hubbard, and 6-2 junior Denzel Brito (transferred from Loyola (Chicago)).
The Greyhounds have one game on the schedule against an AP preseason Top 25 team, at #17 Memphis on December 30th. The first MAAC game for Loyola (MD) is against Niagara on December 5th.
Tags: Shane Walker
- Since 2002, Loyola (MD) has an overall winning percentage of 42.1%. The Greyhounds have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 52.5%.
- The Greyhounds have an average conference finish of 5.0 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 6.6.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 202.7.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Memphis (#20).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Binghamton (#344).
- The last time Loyola (MD) returned more than 70% of the team's statistical production was 2011-2012.
, J`hared Hall
, Justin Drummond
, Pierson Williams
, Erik Etherly
, Dylon Cormier
, Robert Olson
, R.J. Williams
, Anthony Winbush
, Damion Rashford
, Eric Laster
, Sean Tuohy Jr.
, Franz Rassman
, Jarred Jones
, Josh Forney
, Chido Onyiuke
, Tyler Hubbard
, Denzel Brito